The seas and oceans of our planet are filled with mysteries. They are so little studied that even mankind knows more about space. The encounters with unknown monsters, instilling wild fear in the souls of people, have been known since ancient times. But even today, sometimes there are strange, horrifying events. Watch the most exciting movies about sea monsters and try not to get into dangerous situations!
- IMDB Rating – 5.8
- Genre: Horror, sci-fi
- Production: Ireland, USA, UK, Sweden, Belgium / 2019
- Worldwide Box Office: $331,655
- Director: Nisa Hardiman
- Starring: Hermione Corfield, Doug Malmberg, Jack Hickey, Olwen Fouere, Dugray Scott, Connie Nielsen, Ardalan Esmaili, Elie Bouakaze
A professor at an Irish university says that student Siobhan needs to do a number of practical studies for her thesis – there is already enough theory. She will have to go to sea to study deep-sea organisms.
But the contracted fishing vessel is in a restricted area. And now its hull is being destroyed by an unknown force.
Director Nisa Hardiman managed to break the stereotype of scientists’ characters – Siobhan cannot be called cold and calculating.
In the original movie is called “Sea Fever”.
The slogan of the movie sounds like “Something from the depths”.
The Shape of Water
- IMDB Rating – 7.3
- Genre: Fantastic, Drama
- Production: USA, Mexico / 2017
- Budget: $19,400,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $195,333,312
- Director: Guillermo del Toro
- Starring: Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Stuhlbarg, Doug Jones, David Hewlett, Nick Searcy, Stuart Arnott, Nigel Bennett
An amphibian man is taken to a secret laboratory in Baltimore. He does not want to contact military scientists, for which he is beaten by Colonel Richard Strickland, and the monster loses two fingers. They are found by a deaf-mute cleaning lady Eliza and returned to the victim. The girl takes pity on the unknown creature. So when he is about to be vivisected, Eliza devises an escape plan.
The movie was very well liked by audiences and critics, won 4 Oscars, including the top prize – as the best film of the year.
- IMDB Rating – 6.1
- Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Action, Adventure
- Production: USA, Canada / 1998
- Budget: $45,000,000
- US box office: $11,203,026
- Director: Stephen Sommers
- Starring: Trit Williams, Famke Janssen, Anthony Heald, Kevin J. O’Connor, Wes Steady, Derrick O’Connor, Jason Fleming, Cliff Curtis, Clifton Powell, Trevor Goddard.
A cruise liner, recognized as the most luxurious and expensive, sets out on its maiden voyage. However, the owner of “Argonautica” – Canton, suddenly realizes that the operation of the ship will not pay off the cost of maintenance and will not return the invested funds.
He arranges with the head of mercenaries Hanover to sink the liner, hoping to get insurance. But even they are gripped by wild terror when these rugged men realize who has infiltrated the ship.
Director Stephen Sommers created the first two Mummy movies.
- IMDB Rating – 5.8
- Genre: Horror, Action
- Production: USA / 2019
- Budget: $60,000,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $40,882,928
- Director: William Eubank
- Starring: Kristen Stewart, Vincent Cassel, Mamoudou Athie, TJ Miller, John Gallagher Jr, Jessica Henwick, Gunner Wright, Fiona Renee, Amanda Troup
It is turbulent at the bottom of the Mariana Trench – a powerful earthquake has destroyed a drilling station. The survivors discover that all the rescue capsules have already been launched and they decide in spacesuits to get to another drilling station, and only then, from a depth of 11 kilometers, to rise to the surface.
But on the way they are met with dangers and something terrible.
The director of the movie considers his project to be one of the versions of L. Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland”, because the main character also finds herself in a rabbit hole, and in the deepest place. Attentive viewers will definitely find references and compare facts.
- IMDB Rating – 5.5
- Genre: Horror, comedy
- Production: USA / 2010
- Budget: $24,000,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $83,188,165
- Director: Alexander Aja
- Starring: Elisabeth Shue, Steven R. McQueen, Adam Scott, Jerry O’Connell, Jessica Szohr, Ving Rhames, Brooklyn Prue, Sage Ryan, Christopher Lloyd, Kelly Brook
Prehistoric piranhas are making their way into our world from an earthquake fault in Lake Victoria. An ichthyologist who has studied one of them says the species is thought to have been extinct for many millions of years.
These fish are unusually ferocious and bloodthirsty. The sheriff wants to declare a state of emergency, as vacationers are in real danger of dying, and there have already been fatalities. But 20,000 schoolchildren have already arrived at the lake for the traditional celebration of the beginning of summer vacation….
This project was not in vain included in the collection of the best sea monster movies. The movie was very successful at the box office, critics’ reviews – mostly positive. Filming took place on Lake Havasu in Arizona.
- IMDB Rating – 5.6
- Genre: Horror, sci-fi, action, thriller
- Production: USA, China / 2018
- Budget: $130,000,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $530,243,742
- Director: John Turtletaub
- Starring: Jason Statham, Li Bingbing, Rainn Wilson, Cliff Curtis, Winston Chao, Shuya Sophia Tsai, Ruby Rose, Paige Kennedy, Robert Taylor, Oulavur Darry Oulafsson
In this movie about terrible sea monsters, a deep-sea bathyscaphe with scientists on board is attacked by an unknown creature. Oceanographer Xiuying decides to dive to the depths to save the crew, but she is attacked by a huge squid. At the same moment, a giant-sized shark pounces on the squid and destroys it.
The explorers, united, try to survive and protect themselves and the coast from the bloodthirsty megalodon. Suddenly, another, much larger one appears. Before their eyes, it devours one scientist and then a smaller one.
The performer of the main role Jason Statham is an excellent swimmer, previously engaged in diving.
- IMDB Rating – 7.2
- Genre: Fantasy, Thriller, Drama, Detective, Adventure
- Production: USA / 2005
- Director: Jeffrey Reiner, John Behring, Bill Eagles.
- Starring: Lake Bell, J.R. Ferguson, Carter Jenkins, Leighton Meester, Ian Anthony Dale, Luanne Cooper, Rick Reitz, Eddie Hassell, Kelly Collins Lintz, Bobby Coleman.
While doing her research, Dr. Laura Doteri dives into the ocean and sees a creature of gigantic size unknown to science. However, it is the object of close attention of a secret organization. All of Laura’s records are confiscated.
Miles is still a high school student, but his family is wealthy enough that he can go out into the bay on a boat. On one such outing, he sees a strange baby fish in the water and then finds an ostrich egg-sized egg. He puts one of the eggs in his home aquarium. In the world, airplanes are crashing en masse and ships are sinking. What’s going on?
47 Meters Down (dilogy)
- IMDB Rating – 5.7
- Genre: Horror, Thriller
- Production: UK / 2017
- Budget: $5,500,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $62,187,529
- Director: Johannes Roberts
- Starring: Mandy Moore, Claire Holt, Chris J. Johnson, Jani Gelman, Santiago Segura, Matthew Modine, Myra Juarez, Axel Mansilla
The two sisters were in the middle of a vacation in Mexico. Nothing foreshadowed big trouble for Kate and Lisa, until they, having had enough of nightlife and relaxing on the beach, went on a deep-sea safari.
They want to observe shark life from a reinforced cage connected to the boat. But suddenly the cable breaks and they sink to the very bottom. Oxygen is running out and dangerous predators are scurrying around.
Underwater filming took place in a special studio in Basildon. In preparation for the movie, the lead actresses had to take diving courses.
- IMDB Rating – 5.7
- Genre: Horror, Action, Comedy
- Production: USA / 1999
- Budget: $35,000,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $56,870,414
- Director: Steve Miner
- Starring: Bill Pullman, Bridget Fonda, Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, Betty White, David Lewis, Tim Dixon, Natasha Malthe, Marishka Hargitay, Meredith Salenger.
A quiet lake located in the most beautiful places in the United States has a sinister secret. Death threatens anyone who dares to uncover it. A researcher who went to the lake with the sheriff to study the life activity of beavers has died.
The lawman himself saw in the murky water something bite him in half. A paleontologist and police officers are dispatched to Lake Placid. A little later, a man joins the group, convinced he knows who can do such a thing. But they don’t believe him.
Filming took place in Vancouver and on three Canadian lakes nearby.
- IMDB Rating – 6.0
- Genre: Horror, sci-fi, fantasy, action, thriller, adventure
- Production: Spain, France / 2016
- Budget: €8,500,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $737,478
- Director: Xavier Jeans
- Starring: Ray Stevenson, David Oakes, Aura Garrido, Winslow Iwaki, John Benfield, Ben Temple, Iván González, Alejandro Rod, Julien Blaschke, Damian Montesdeoca
A young meteorologist, Friend, had to travel a long way to the island where he was to spend a year on watch. He gradually begins to realize that being far from civilization does not mean that he will have to live a whole year without worry and anxiety.
The stern and taciturn Gruner, the lighthouse keeper, is sure to have a secret. And something’s probably happened to the old meteorologist. Perhaps the island is not as uninhabited as it first appears?
In the movie, the main character is referred to as “Friend” but not by name in any way.
- IMDB Rating – 6.3
- Genre: Horror, Action, Thriller, Drama
- Production: USA / 2016
- Budget: $17,000,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $119,100,758
- Director: Jaume Collet-Serra
- Starring: Blake Lively, Oscar Jaenada, Joseph Salas, Brett Cullen, Sedona Ledge, Pablo Calva, Diego Espejel, Janell Bailey, Ava Dean, Chelsea Moody
The heroine of this chamber thriller had a hard time on a wild beach, where she came to go surfing. Good waves and wonderful weather please Nancy, but not far from the shore she sees a dead whale, and next to it – a white shark.
The predator instantly digs into the girl’s leg. Wounded Nancy manages to climb onto the carcass and stop the bleeding. It is impossible to relax, the girl decided to fight for her life. But how long can she hold out?
The movie received positive reviews from critics and is considered quite successful financially as well.
It is one of the best movies about sea monsters and horrible monsters.
The Beast (mini-series)
- IMDB Rating – 5.9
- Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Action, Thriller, Adventure
- Production: USA, Australia / 1996
- Director: Jeff Blechner
- Starring: William Petersen, Karen Sillas, Charles Martin Smith, Ronald Guttman. Missy Kreider, Sterling Macer Jr., Denise Arndt, E.J. Johnson, Larry Drake, Murray Bartlett.
In a village in Bermuda, fishermen who went out to sea to fish began to disappear. A married couple vacationing on a yacht also disappeared. The police failed to find the suspects or at least solve the mystery of the disappearance of people.
And only the old captain Whip Dapton everything has long been clear. Soon his hunches will be completely confirmed. The hunt is on.
The music is by composer Don Davis, his music is featured in many Hollywood movies.
The Creature Below
- IMDB Rating – 3.7
- Genre: Horror, sci-fi
- Production: UK / 2016
- Budget: £12,000
- Director: Stuart Spark
- Starring: Anna Dawson, Michaela Longden, Daniel Trace, Johnny Vivash, Zachary Lee, David Shackleton, Cal O’Connell, Lindsay Crane
A female scientist dives into deep water to test a new spacesuit. She is attacked by an unknown marine predator, but is brought to the surface in time. The suit is damaged, and in it she discovers an egg of a sea creature unknown to science (the deep-sea monster), and takes it home.
Soon a cub hatches from it, which now has to be fed and protected. But what happens next? Despite the fact that the scientists’ actions are guided by a sincere desire to advance our civilization, this could have a negative impact on all of humanity.
Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep
- IMDB Rating – 3.7
- Genre: Horror, sci-fi, fantasy, action, thriller, comedy, adventure
- Production: Canada / 2006
- Budget: $2,100,000
- Director: Tibor Takacs, John Blush
- Starring: Charlie O’Connell, Victoria Pratt, Christy Angus, Cory Monteith, Jack Scalia, Alex Paunovich, Nicole McKay, Michal Yanai, Kyle Pejpar. Mike Dopud
The boat of marine archaeologist Nicole and her friends, Michael and Jenny, is attacked by an unknown creature. The captain dies, and the survivors struggle to get to shore. They need the Trojan mask and the legendary opal, and Nicole believes that they can be found in these waters, because there are a lot of sunken ships at the bottom.
The circumstances of the skipper’s death are discovered by Ray, who has been studying sea creatures on his own. He was just a child when a giant kraken killed his parents. However, Nicole has a rival who can do anything for money.
- IMDB Rating – 4.2
- Genre: Horror, sci-fi, fantasy, action, thriller, comedy, detective, adventure
- Production: USA / 2008
- Director: Paul Ziller
- Starring: Corinne Nemec, Miriam McDonald, Daniel Whisler, Camille Sullivan, Gwyneth Walsh, Brent State, Gary Hudson, Christy Lane, Brandon J. McLaren, Douglas Chapman.
There is panic in a small coastal village. Some sea monsters have opened a hunt for humans, as they are tired of feeding on marine life and are looking for new sources of food. Human flesh suits them just fine.
Will McKenna, captain of one of the fishing vessels, and a female biologist Arden enter the warpath with troglodytes. Together with another fisherman they want to understand what is happening and help the mysterious species to disappear forever. But the loss of life continues to mount.
All the scenes are wonderfully picturesque, the beauty of nature is shown well. But the lacerations or fatal wounds of the victims are also shown in detail, reinforcing the atmosphere of hopelessness and horror.
- IMDB Rating – 3.2
- Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Action, Thriller, Comedy, Adventure
- Production: USA / 2010
- Director: Declan O’Brien
- Starring: Eric Roberts, Kerem Bursin, Sarah Malakul Lane, Hector Jimenez, Liv Bogn, Julian Gonzalez Esparza, Blake Lindsay, Peter Nelson, Maya Markula, Megan Barkley
Scientist Nathan Sence, commissioned by the U.S. Navy, has developed a terrifying weapon – the shark-losminog. The genetic engineer has created a hybrid of these two dangerous sea creatures. And decides to demonstrate his achievements to the departmental commission.
Under Nathan’s control, the sharkfish obediently pounces on drug dealers off the coast of Santa Monica, but then suddenly rushes to the Mexican coast. And there, on the local beaches there are a lot of vacationers – for the terrible monster it is thousands of potential victims.
Bering Sea Beast
- IMDB Rating – 2.9
- Genre: Horror, sci-fi, action, thriller, comedy, adventure
- Production: USA / 2013
- Director: Don E. FontLeRoy
- Starring: Graylen Bryant Banks, Brandon Beamer, George Brooks, Kevin Dobson, Jacqueline Fleming, Regis Harrington, Isaiah Laborde, Jonathan Lipnicki, Michael Papajohn
In horror movies about sea monsters not so often appear vampires – terrible and nasty creatures. In the story, they attack people living in a small town on the shore of the Bering Sea. And they already have a lot of problems. You even have to look for gold deep underwater – at the very bottom.
Before taking up the research of the area, presumably rich in gold, the crew of the ship “Black Ridge” receives a replenishment. A new sailor, Owen Powers, comes aboard. It is not known who this man is; Captain Glen Hunter is silent. When they arrive at the place, the bosun Jonas and Glen’s son Joe are submerged. And that’s when everyone gets scared.
- IMDB Rating – 3.0
- Genre: Horror, Fiction, Action, Thriller, Adventure
- Production: USA, Bulgaria / 2000
- Budget: $5,000,000
- Director: John Ayres
- Starring: Jay Harrington, Ravil Isyanov, David Beecroft, Carolyn Lowry, Ricco Ross, Jeff Nattal, George Stanchev, Martin McDougall, Vasil Banov, Nikolai Urumov.
During the Cuban crisis in 1962, an incident occurs between military boats – American and Soviet. As a result, radioactive materials are released into the water. A nearby octopus suddenly grows to gigantic size. The monster fiercely attacks all military transports, whose paths lie off the coast of Cuba.
Much later, in Sofia, two CIA agents catch a terrorist and take him to a submarine. But then a giant octopus appears, rising from the depths in search of prey. The crew can no longer hope for rescue and panic sets in. Or is there still one chance to stay alive?
In this movie about a scary sea monster, you can observe what people are capable of in the face of mortal danger.
- IMDB Rating – 7.5
- Genre: Fantasy, Thriller, Drama
- Production: USA / 1989
- Budget: $69,500,000
- Worldwide Box Office: $89,761,361
- Director: James Cameron
- Starring: Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Bean, Leo Burmester, Todd Graff, John Bedford Lloyd, J.C. Quinn, Kimberly Scott, Captain Kidd Brewer Jr.
In the western Caribbean Sea, the nuclear submarine Montana is attacked by an unknown object. The Cayman Trough is a fault zone with complex geographic structures. Malfunctions from the attack lead to a collision with an underwater rock, after which the boat sinks to the very bottom.
The Americans do not want to allow Soviet subs to arrive at the site of the accident and try to start an emergency evacuation of the crew. For this purpose, they even attracted to the work of specialists serving the oil platform, located nearby. But the danger is too great.